Metamorph Samples refer to the 5 types of items from the in-game Metamorph mechanics: Brain, Eye, Heart, Lung and Liver. The itemized unique Metamorph organ (referred as "Greater Samples" in in-game dialogue) only drop from defeating the Metamorph boss that constructed by the player in map.
Each map has a 8% chance to include a Metamorph encounter. The chance is not shared with Master nor Abyss, Blight, Breach and Legion, etc. In the encounter, certain monsters (and map boss) are marked with a green "arrow" on their bodies as well as marked on the mini-map, and the monster health and name bar have a green circle. Upon defeating these monsters, they drop organ samples which are automatically collected. With a full set of samples - Brain, Eye, Heart, Lung, and Liver - players can construct a Metamorph unique boss monster based on the combination they have used by spawning Tane Octavius and his Metamorph Vial using a button on the bottom right (PC default keybind: V). Tane spawns automatically once you've collected every organ in the zone.
Players can use any combination of a set of organs to create the Metamorph monster. Each organ determines the attacks the Metamorph uses, as well as the monster modifiers it has. Sometimes an organ will contain an additional item drop bonus. Moreover, a meter to the right fills based on sample rarity, which increases the monster's overall stats and item drops. Organs from higher rarity monsters will give larger increases to this meter. If the meter is filled as well as using at least one map boss sample, the Metamorph will drop an itemized organ sample, named after the name of the map boss, which can be placed in player's inventory. Note that in some cases, even in a fully cleared map, there are not enough rare and unique organ samples to fully fill the meter, due to external factors such as map rarity, map mods, map tier and pack size. Only one Metamorph boss can be constructed per a map instance (unless with Atlas passive skill), and only the itemized organ(s) can be transferred out of the zone instance. Player can boost the drop of itemized organs by using Metamorph Scarab.
Itemized samples can be used in the Metamorph Vial in Tane's Laboratory. A full set of itemized organs can be used to construct a Metamorph there. The mods on the itemized organs indicate additional items the Metamorph will drop. Note that no more organs drop in the lab.
List of Metamorph organ samples basetypes
- Metamorph BrainMetamorph BrainCombine this with four other different samples in Tane's Laboratory. - the abilities associated with Brain samples are "Lingering"
- Metamorph EyeMetamorph EyeCombine this with four other different samples in Tane's Laboratory. - the abilities associated with Eye samples are "Simple"
- Metamorph LungMetamorph LungCombine this with four other different samples in Tane's Laboratory. - the abilities associated with Lung samples have "Medium Delay"
- Metamorph HeartMetamorph HeartCombine this with four other different samples in Tane's Laboratory. - the abilities associated with Heart samples have "Long Delay"
- Metamorph LiverMetamorph LiverCombine this with four other different samples in Tane's Laboratory. - the abilities associated with Liver samples have "Short Delay"
Three of any itemized organs can be sold to a NPC to receive a random organ differing from those offered, with random rewards.
Thus, if the players lack Eye and Liver, they should use 1 Brain, 1 Heart and 1 Lung in the recipe to maximize the chance.
Metamorphs can be spawned anywhere on the map. Using different strategies with placement can make defeating them easier.
- For characters that can hit enemies off screen with ranged skills, placing the metamorph in an open area will make it easier to hit them far away and get away.
- For characters that use melee hits, placing the metamorph in the smallest area you can find will prevent large amounts of enemies from hitting you at the same time.
- If the atlas has a watchstone in the maps region with a sextant modifier that says "Area has additional packs of monsters that convert" there will be traitorous totems on the map that give the player and minions auras. Spawning the metamorph near these totems will give the player and minions auras during the metamorph fight.
- Talisman - league item that used to be upgradable in the past
- Beast - league item that used as ingredients of league mechanics
- Beastcrafting - the league mechanics that use beasts
- Captured Memory - legacy league item that could be used as ingredients of league mechanics in the past
- Memory Nexus, an area that used to be placing Captured memory to craft a playable area
- Fractured item - legacy league item that could be used as ingredients of league mechanics in the past
- Synthesiser - a legacy league mechanics that use Fractured item to create Synthesised item
- Chris (April 9, 2021). "Path of Exile: Ultimatum Content Reveal". Path of Exile Youtube Channel. Retrieved April 9, 2021.