November 12, 2016
November 18, 2016
November 19, 2016
Within the next two days we're deploying Content Update 2.4.2 which contains new skills, improvements to master missions and much more. In the meantime, the full patch notes are now ready to view.
- In order to provide a smoother experience at the launch of December's 2.5.0 update, this 2.4.2 update contains many of the improvements intended for 2.5.0. Enjoy!
New Path of Exile Client
- There are now two Path of Exile game clients. The original DirectX 9 version has been substantially improved. We have also introduced an experimental 64-bit DirectX 11 version which you can now use. This version will become the default for systems that support it at 2.5.0's release.
- To use the 64-bit DirectX 11 client: If you're using the Standalone game client, then run PathofExile_x64.exe. If you're using Steam, right click on Path of Exile in your library and click "Play 64-bit DX11 Version".
- Both the DirectX 9 and 11 clients are substantially faster than the previous version of Path of Exile in high-load situations when CPU-bound. In addition, the new DirectX 11 client has more scope for future improvement as we continue to optimise it over time.
- These improvements are CPU optimisations and thus don't improve performance if your graphics card is the bottleneck.
- We now use D3D9 Ex mode on Windows Vista and above which substantially improves memory usage and game window resize speed under DirectX 9. You can disable this with --nodx9ex if you encounter problems.
- Added new Dexterity/Intelligence skill - Blade FlurryBlade FlurryAttack, AoE, Channelling, Physical, Melee
Cost: 4 Mana
Attack Speed: 160% of base
Attack Damage: (32-45)% of base
Effectiveness of Added Damage: (32-45)%
Radius: 14 / 17 / 19Requires Level 28Repeatedly hit enemies in a circle in front of you while channelling, dealing damage to and around the enemy. The damage is continually boosted while channelling. You unleash an additional hit for each stage reached once the channelling ends. Requires a Dagger, Claw or One-Handed Sword.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent0.5% increased Attack SpeedFinal Flurry has 1% increased Area of Effect2% increased Elemental Damage while ChannellingDeals (32-45)% of Base Attack Damage
20% more Damage with Hits and Ailments for each stage
(14-75) to (20-113) Added Attack Physical DamagePlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.: Repeatedly strike at enemies in a circle in front of you while channelling, dealing damage to and around the struck enemy. The damage is continually boosted while channelling. You unleash an additional strike for each stage reached once the channelling ends. Requires a Dagger, Claw or One-Handed Sword.
- Added new Intelligence skill - Scorching RayScorching RaySpell, Fire, Duration, Channelling
Cost: (2-5) Mana
Cast Time: 0.25 secRequires Level 12Unleash a beam of fire that burns enemies it touches. Remaining in the beam intensifies the burning, adding a portion of the beam's damage in stages. Inflicts Fire Exposure at maximum stages. Enemies who leave the beam continue to burn for a duration. Increasing cast speed also increases the rate at which the beam can turn.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent0.5% increased beam length1% increased Skill Effect Duration2% increased Cast Speed
2% less Skill Effect DurationDeals (11.7-439.4) Base Fire Damage per second
Base duration is 1.5 seconds
Additional Debuff stages add 60% of Damage
Burning Debuff can have a maximum of 8 stages
Fire Exposure applies -25% to Fire Resistance
Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effectPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.: Unleash a beam of fire that burns enemies it touches, and decreases their fire resistance. Remaining in the beam intensifies the burning, adding a portion of the beam's damage in stages. Enemies who leave the beam continue to burn for a duration. Increasing cast speed also increases the rate at which the beam can turn.
- Added new Intelligence skill - BlightBlightSpell, Chaos, AoE, Channelling, Duration
Cost: (2-5) Mana
Cast Time: 0.30 sec
Radius: 26Apply a debuff to enemies in front of you which deals chaos damage over time. Enemies who aren't already debuffed by Blight are also hindered for a shorter secondary duration, slowing their movement. Continued channelling adds layers of damage to the debuff, each with their own duration.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent0.5% increased Area of Effect1% increased Chaos Damage3% increased Secondary DurationDeals (3.1-257.4) Base Chaos Damage per second
Base duration is 2.5 seconds
Base secondary duration is 0.8 seconds
80% reduced Movement Speed
Debuff can have up to 20 layers of Damage
Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this Skill's Damage Over Time effect
+(0-6) to radiusPlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket.: Apply a debuff to enemies in front of you which deals chaos damage over time. Enemies who aren't already debuffed by Blight are also hindered for a shorter secondary duration, slowing their movement. Continued channelling adds layers of damage to the debuff, each with their own duration.
- We've revamped the fog system in Path of Exile and changed the environments of many areas to use this new fog.
- Some cloth objects in Path of Exile now have a physics simulation. Over time, we'll be adding more things to interact with this system. Some banners in the Solaris and Lunaris temples can be experimented with for now.
- The chat user interface has been improved. You can now toggle the display of all types of messages and can see how many of each type have arrived while that mode was disabled. By default, users are now subscribed to chats that they cannot see, so toggling it on will show prior messages.
- Server announcements are now shown in a separate part of the chat UI.
- There's now an item filter bundled with Path of Exile that you can select in the User Interface options.
- The sender of a whisper message is now notified if the recipient doesn't receive it because they are changing areas.
- Added explanation text to some advanced terms on item hovers. You can press Alt to see them.
- Removed the Kaom's Path area and modified Kaom's Stronghold and Kaom's Dream to compensate for its removal.
- Navali now has a "Sell Items" option.
- You can now talk to Navali in other people's hideouts to Seek/Seal Prophecies and sell items to her.
- When you are about to apply a Sextant to a map it now previews the radius.
- When hovering over maps on the Atlas, the Sextant mod on that selected map will be displayed in a lighter shade of blue.
- When binding a skill to a button on the skill bar, the auras that are currently active are indicated.
- The Sextant Mod which added Creeping Agony to your maps can no longer be generated.
- The map bosses for the Castle Ruins MapCastle Ruins MapMap Level: 82
Map Tier: 15
Guild Character: êWhen the castle falls, it has failed its only purpose.Travel to this Map by using it in a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. and Strand MapStrand MapMap Level: 73
Map Tier: 6
Guild Character: ÏTravel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. now have a version of Blade Flurry which matches the player skill more closely.
- Necromancers now have new visual effects for their curses
- Amarissa and Ambrosia in the Caverns of Wrath and Anger now have new visual effects.
- Monsters that start inactive can't spawn certain Nemesis mods any more.
- The damage dealt by the Herald of the Obelisk variation which creates areas of Lightning Clouds can no longer stun.
- Improvements have been made to how Life, Mana and Energy Shield numbers are displayed above the life and mana orbs.
- Caustic Clouds created by monsters now more clearly indicates what area they affect.
- The pirate ghosts summoned during the Reef MapReef MapMap Level: 76
Map Tier: 9
Guild Character: YTravel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. boss fight are now magic monsters.
- Reduced the size of the Chateau MapChateau MapMap Level: 78
Map Tier: 11
Guild Character: ÛTravel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. and increased its monster density to bring it in line with other maps.
- The Orchard MapOrchard MapMap Level: 76
Map Tier: 9
Guild Character: 9Travel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once.'s signature monster packs are now larger.
- You can now rename your guild in-game.
- Some quests that previously awarded a rare item or a fully-linked item now award a fully-linked rare item.
- Warbands members now drop their signature items already identified.
- Continued to improve and fix issues with the Hall of GrandmastersHall of Grandmasters
Promenade MapMap Level: 69
Map Tier: 2
Guild Character: ÙContains the Immortalised Grandmasters
PvP damage scaling in effectThe grandest and greatest ever to fight,
Divine the champions stand tall.
But match their power, best their might,
And even the immortal may fall.Travel to this Map by using it in a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once..
- Added 3D art for the Cybil's PawCybil's Paw
Physical Damage: 24-63.6
Critical Strike Chance: 6.50%
Attacks per Second: 1.30
Weapon Range: 11Requires Level 37, 53 Dex, 77 Int+25 Life gained for each Enemy hit by Attacks(8-12)% increased Cast Speed
+(30-40) to maximum Mana
+(5-8) Life gained for each Enemy hit by your Spells
8% increased Spell Damage per 5% Chance to Block Attack DamageTread lightly, lest their vigil find you.
Speak softly, lest their reason fend you.
Cut gently, lest their spirit haunt you. and Cloak of FlameCloak of Flame
Scholar's RobeQuality: +20%
Energy Shield: 46
Movement Speed: -3%Requires Level 18, 55 Int+(30-50)% to Fire Resistance
(30-50)% increased Ignite Duration on Enemies
10% chance to Ignite
Reflects 15 Fire Damage to Melee Attackers
20% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire DamageHe who sows an ember shall reap an inferno. unique items.
- The VoidwalkerVoidwalker
Murder BootsQuality: +20%
Energy Shield: (44-51)Requires Level 69, 82 Dex, 42 Int+(30-50) to Dexterity
(140-180)% increased Evasion and Energy Shield
30% increased Movement Speed
20% chance to Avoid Projectiles while Phasing
You have Phasing if you've Killed Recently
Projectiles Pierce 5 additional Targets while you have Phasing
Celestial FootprintsStep into the void
and experience true freedom. unique item now has the Celestial Footprints effect.
- Item hovers can now scale in width a small amount to dynamically adjust for long stat descriptions that would otherwise spill a few words onto a second line.
- Made improvements to the layout of the Armoury MapArmoury MapMap Level: 74
Map Tier: 7
Guild Character: oTravel to this Map by using it in the Templar Laboratory or a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once..
- Various improvements to preloading have been made.
- Continued to incrementally improve the sound, art, effects and environments.
Forsaken Master Improvements
- The longest of the Elreon missions is now shorter, with fewer waves of enemies.
- Vorici will now Smoke Mine to teleport to his target when his mission is complete.
- Vorici no longer gives you a mission to kill the target without killing any of the guards.
- On missions from Vorici where you have to avoid killing some enemies, the enemies will have significantly more life, have life regeneration, and are less likely to be attacked by minions.
- On missions from Vorici where you must keep the target on low life, the target will have more life. The length of the timer was reduced to 8 seconds from 10.
- Removed the automatic Ethereal Knives variation of Vorici guards.
- If there is a Den of monsters, Tora will Blink Arrow to the Den when anyone approaches the entrance, even if the mission has not been started.
- In Tora missions where there is no den of monsters, Tora will Blink Arrow to the last target monster killed when the mission has been completed.
- For missions variations that do not complete at Catarina's location, she will teleport via Convocation to the location of the last monster killed or consumed when the mission is completed.
- All of Catarina's monsters that are killed or consumed as part of the mission objective now grant experience and drop items.
- Undead on Catarina missions now move faster. Some Catarina missions with exploding minions no longer require as many exploding undead to be slain.
- For Vorici, Catarina, and Tora, if you complete a daily mission where they teleport, the return portal to your hideout will move to them after any player has received their reward.
- When you die in a Zana mission, you respawn at her map device.
- Removed the timer on Haku Missions where you spawn at the Spirit that required you to click the Spirit before 30 seconds. These instead now have a barrier that you cannot pass until you have picked up the spirit.
- Fixed a bug where The Broken Prince, The Fallen Queen and The Hollow Lady in the Vaal Pyramid Map would still block collidability when dead.
- Fixed a bug where Raised Spectres could get stuck with an infinite duration Shield Charge effect if movement was interrupted via Convocation mid-charge.
- Fixed the "Elemental Hit has +x% chance to Freeze, Shock and Ignite" enchantment that claimed it was for Burning Arrow.
- Fixed a bug with the Avatar of Thunder where he could remain invisible if you travel far away and come back while he is disappearing.
- Fixed various problems with PvP preconstructed characters, such as their passive trees and items.
- Fixed a bug where The Vinktar SquareThe Vinktar Square
Courtyard MapMap Level: 70
Map Tier: 3
Guild Character: ²
Item Quantity: (+100%-+150%)
Item Rarity: (+100%-+150%)
Monster Pack Size: (+30%-+50%)20% more Monster Life
Monsters cannot be Shocked
20% increased Monster Damage
+35% Monster Lightning Resistance
Monsters deal 35% extra Physical Damage as LightningTo the east,
it cannot be seen.
To the west,
it cannot be touched.
To the south,
it cannot be remembered.
And to the north,
it cannot be contained.Travel to this Map by using it in a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. map item had no sell value.
- Fixed a bug where Weapon and Armour Racks would still be collidable after they are opened.
- Fixed a bug where Summon Lightning GolemSummon Lightning GolemLightning, Minion, Spell, Golem
Cost: (30-54) Mana
Cooldown Time: 6.00 sec
Can Store 1 Use(s)
Cast Time: 1.00 secRequires Level 34Summons a Lightning Golem that grants you increased Attack and Cast speed. The Lightning Golem fires a projectile spell, creates orbs of Lightning that zap nearby enemies, and casts a temporary aura that grants added Lightning Damage to spells and attacks used by the Golem and its nearby allies.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent1% increased Minion Maximum Life
Minions deal 1% increased Damage1% increased Buff EffectSummoned Golems have 1% increased Cooldown Recovery RateMaximum 1 Summoned Golem
Golems grant (6-9)% increased Attack and Cast Speed
(30-68)% increased Minion Maximum Life
(0-19)% increased Character SizePlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket. was not triggerable with Mjölner.
- Fixed a bug where the Stag, Boar and Bear heads clipped with the body armour when worn by a Scion.
- Fixed a bug where the Shaped Canyon Map was using the mod pool of mid-tier maps rather than high-tier maps.
- Fixed a bug where Tormented Spirits could possess a monster that was already possessed by a spirit of the same type.
- Fixed various terrain blocking issues with the Death and Taxes unique map.
- Fixed various unique maps that didn't have corresponding guild tag letters.
- Fixed issues that could allow daily mission portals in hideouts to spawn inside walls.
- Fixed a bug where items in the vendor window have an extraneous divider in their description.
- Fixed a bug where Raging Spirits could sometimes be targeted by monster melee attacks.
- Fixed a bug where the Essence Panicked Rubble monster could be targeted.
- Fixed a bug where the default close key would still close the Atlas even if you've mapped this function to another key.
- Fixed an issue where some Prophecies would give out old versions of maps.
- Fixed a bug where Daresso's voice acting didn't play when you defeated Barkhul.
- When you close a Prophecy dialogue window, it now fades out the audio correctly.
- Fixed a bug where The ScourgeThe Scourge
Physical Damage: (63.6-81.6) to (205.2-235.2)
Critical Strike Chance: 6.30%
Attacks per Second: (1.65-1.72)
Weapon Range: 11Requires Level 70, 113 Dex, 113 Int2% of Physical Attack Damage Leeched as LifeAdds (35-50) to (100-125) Physical Damage
(10-15)% increased Attack Speed
Minions have (10-15)% increased Attack Speed
Increases and Reductions to Minion Damage also affect you at 150% of their value
Minions deal 70% increased Damage if you've Hit RecentlyWith increasing mastery over death
comes an increasing desire for it. would look strange on certain characters.
- Null's InclinationNull's Inclination
Physical Damage: 46.8-97.2
Chaos Damage: (50-80) to (130-180)
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%
Attacks per Second: (1.39-1.46)
Weapon Range: 120Requires Level 60, 212 Dex, 212 IntAdds (50-80) to (130-180) Chaos Damage
(7-12)% increased Attack Speed
+(7-11)% to Chaos Resistance
+212 Intelligence Requirement
Minions deal 1% increased Damage per 10 Dexterity
Trigger Socketed Minion Spells on Kill with this WeaponThe hunt continues when the prey falls. now correctly indicates that it casts all socketed minion skills on kill, instead of just one.
- Fixed various cases of Master mission entrances spawning in inaccessible locations or blocking players.
- Fixed a bug where you could use an Orb of ChanceOrb of ChanceStack Size: 20Upgrades a normal item to a random rarityRight click this item then left click a normal item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. on the Offering to the GoddessOffering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. You must have completed the six different Trials of Ascendancy found in Maps in order to access this area..
- Fixed several armour modifiers not affecting armour against projectile hits, or affecting it incorrectly. This included all armour granted by body armours.
- Fixed a bug where players and minions would block Masters from being able to open portals to their daily missions.
- Fixed a bug where Spectral ThrowSpectral ThrowAttack, Projectile
Cost: (7-9) Mana
Attack Speed: 110% of base
Projectile Speed: 1000Throws a spectral copy of your melee weapon. It flies out and then returns to you, in a spinning attack that damages enemies in its path.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent0.5% increased Attack Speed1% increased Projectile Speed0.5% reduced Projectile Speed
Fires an additional ProjectileDeals (80-100)% of Base Attack DamagePlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket. could travel further than intended if used when standing very close to a wall.
- Fixed a bug where you could not take quest rewards if you had any Panel open on the left side of your screen
- Fixed a bug where you could add Oba to your friends list in the Oba's Cursed Trove map.
- Fixed a bug where the Mutated Maw encounted during Tora missions was dealing far too little damage with its Caustic Ground Leap Slam skill in later difficulties.
- Fixed a bug where the damage dealt by the Herald of the Obelisk variation which created areas of Lightning Clouds had too much variance in how fast it could apply.
- Fixed a bug where Strongboxes that detonated nearby corpses would not deal any damage.
- "The Dream TrialThe Dream TrialThe depths of a dream hide a gauntlet that sharpens the body and mind.You will discover a Trial of Ascendancy in a map.Right-click to add this prophecy to your character.Seal Cost:
2x Silver Coin" Prophecy can no longer trigger on maps that have the Sextant mod that forces Zana to be present.
- Fixed a bug where the enchantment for "Increased Critical Strike Chance if you haven't Crit Recently" wasn't working.
- Fixed a bug where killing a monster with Soul Conduit via a skill that would trigger a corpse-consuming skill would result in no item drops.
- Zana Atlas quests now work correctly on the Jungle Valley and Arachnid Nest maps.
- Zana quests in maps that relate to inactive monsters no longer grant them effects until they're active.
- Fixed a bug where the boss of the Vault MapVault MapMap Level: 82
Map Tier: 15
Guild Character: )Wealth beyond imagining, locked beyond reach.Travel to this Map by using it in a personal Map Device. Maps can only be used once. could get stuck on ledges. He now more effectively slams to get down.
- Fixed a bug where players could get stuck in the Plateau boss room.
- Fixed a bug where Spectral Summoned Skulls from the Essence Mod were unaffected by player auras.
- Fixed a bug where Flame DashFlame DashSpell, Movement, Duration, Fire, Travel, Blink
Cost: (8-23) Mana
Cooldown Time: 3.00 sec
Can Store 3 Use(s)
Cast Time: 0.70 sec
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%Requires Level 10Teleport to a location, damaging enemies and leaving a trail of burning ground in your wake. Shares a cooldown with other Blink skills.Per 1% Quality:1Superior2Anomalous3Divergent0.5% increased Cooldown Recovery Rate1% increased travel distance2% chance to Ignite enemies
2% more Burning DamageDeals (7-479) to (11-718) Fire Damage
Deals (18.9-1262.7) Base Fire Damage per second
Base duration is 4 seconds
(0-47)% increased Cooldown Recovery RatePlace into an item socket of the right colour to gain this skill. Right click to remove from a socket. could take you to the other side of locked doors and walls.
- Fixed a bug where players were sometimes unable to move if they had no skills on their skill bar.
- Fixed a client crash when inserting an Offering to the GoddessOffering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. You must have completed the six different Trials of Ascendancy found in Maps in order to access this area. into your personal map device.
- Fixed a bug where Doon CuebiyariDoon Cuebiyari
Physical Damage: 44.4-84
Critical Strike Chance: 6.00%
Attacks per Second: 1.40
Weapon Range: 11Requires Level 64, 113 Str, 113 Int32% increased Elemental DamageSocketed Gems are Supported by Level 30 Iron Will
+(50-70) to Strength
(15-18)% increased Cast Speed
+(20-30) to maximum Mana
1% increased Damage per 8 Strength when in Main Hand
1% increased Armour per 16 Strength when in Off HandMy Iron heart will beat when yours is rust.
I take your Strength, your power, your lust.
By Iron Will alone I set my mind in motion.
Through endless storms of fervent devotion. was providing an abnormally high amount of increased armour.
- Chris (November 16, 2016). "Patch 2.4.2". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- GGG_Neon (November 18, 2016). "2.4.2 Hotfix (Friday 18th November, 4PM NZT)". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 18, 2016.
- GGG_Neon (November 18, 2016). "2.4.2 Hotfix (Friday 18th November, 6:45PM NZT)". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 18, 2016.